Thread: Problems with Mac G4 series

Problems with Mac G4 series

Hello there, I am in a real fix now. I have just replaced the Motherboard of my G4 series Desktop from a authorized apple store. When i checked the computer at the stores it was working but when i brought the Mac home and tried to switch it on, it wont boot at all. When the start button is pressed, all the LED's flash and then nothing happens. I cant figure out what the problem is and i am very reluctant on taking the Mac back to the apple store as they will charge me again. Operating system on my MAC is Snow leopard. Can this be because of Operating system failure? So if any of you have any information about this please let me know.

Re: Problems with Mac G4 series

No i dont think that this issue is due to operating system failure. In MAC system if there is problem with the operating system, it indicates the user. Whenever a MAC system is unable to find an operating system on the hard drive or is unable to find the files required by the system to boot, it displays a empty folder with an question mark. If the question mark is blinking then only some files of the operating system are missing. If the question mark is steady and gray then the whole operating system is missing. As you are not getting this indications therefore it is not an operating system failure.

It is possible that while carrying the computer home it must have gone through some physical damage, which may have made some connections loose. Open the cabinet and check all the connections. I will suggest that you remove all the cables connecting the devices and then do the connections again. In this way if there was any problem with the loose connection it will be solved.

By looking at the problem it is clear that the issue is with the hard drive of the system. Mac system does not boot at all if the hard drive of the system is not detected. To check the hard drive of the system, try to boot the operating system in a single user mode. To boot the system in single user mode, Press "Apple and C key" together when the power button is pressed. In single user mode the system will find all the drives which have operating system installed on them. If the system does not list any drive with an operating system, then your hard drive has some issue's so you will have to format it or have to replace it.

Try doing a PRAM and PSU reset and see if it helps. Many times the system is not able to access ram and needs to be reset. Also the PSU needs a reset to get rid of the redundant capacitive charge developed. To perform a PRAM reset, Locate and find the following keys Apple, Option, P and R. Now press and hold these keys while pressing the power button. Hold this keys till three start-up chimes are heard. Once the third startup chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot. To perform the PSU reset, Remove the power supply cord. Now press the power button and insert the power cord while pressing the power button. Once the power cord is plugged in, press the power button again and see if the MAC boots.

Check if the RAM chips of the system are properly inserted in their respective slots. It is possible that the RAM chips have been dislocated from the slot while carrying the MAC home again. Open the Cabinet and remove the RAM chip from the slot. Now clean the connecting terminals of the Chip and then replace back the RAM in its slot properly. Close the Locks of the empty RAM slots if there are any. Now try to boot the system. hopefully this post helps.