Thread: Hitachi Deskstar vs Western Digital Caviar Black

Hitachi Deskstar vs Western Digital Caviar Black

I am using the Desktop computer at my home. It has following configuration: Foxconn A7DA-S, 8GB Corsair XMS2 4X2 GB DDR2, AMD 940 BE @ 3.6Ghz 1.4V, Seagate 7200.12 1x500GB. Now i am planning to buy new Hard Drive Disk. And decided to buy 1TB. But i am confused between Hitachi Deskstar and Western Digital Caviar Black. Which is better one to buy by keeping in the mind the speed and the reliability of it. Please help me out in this matter.

Re: Hitachi Deskstar vs Western Digital Caviar Black

I would say that none of them you mention would be good to buy. My suggestion would be to go for this Samsung, the 103SJ- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive. It would cost you around $90. I am using right now, the performance and speed is superb. I would love to get one more if somebody help me by giving money. Hope you would be able to take decision after my suggestions.

Recently i read the review from Bit-Tech, it told that Samsung F3 drive are very much favorably and reliable in market this days. Even i am in the market to buy 1TB drive as well and my mind going towards buying the Samsung drive instead of Western Digital. The Western Digital has 5 year warranty is good though i am ready to take it. And about Hitachi Deskstar i don't that much idea. I think would buy Samsung only and would also suggest you also to buy that only.

I think there should be no doubt to buy Western Digital(WD) in front of Hitachi Deskstar. The WD Caviar Black is excellent when it comes to performance and there could not be any comparison with Deskstar. This(WD) hard drive is one of the fastest desktop drives. It is 12.2 ms access time is the fastest ever measured for a 3.5” 7,200 RPM desktop drive. And this WD Caviar Black out performs all other 7,200 RPM drive regarding the I/O performance, and the difference is significant mainly in the database and file server profiles.

If i wanted to buy new 1TB HDD, then would get confused between Samsung HD103UJ and Western Digital Caviar Black, because this two are neck-to-neck in market right now and Hitachi Deskstar is no where near to them. According to today's market, Samsung HD103UJ is ahead of Western Digital Caviar Black with its price and performance. When tested, HD103UJ kept back the Caviar Black by 12 percent on its average random access times. Not only this, but the Samsung drive beat the Caviar Black in each single Read and Write transfer measurement.

If you want to buy one out of Hitachi Desk star and Western Digital(WD) Caviar Black, then you should go for WD Caviar Black. The WD Caviar Black review is far better then Desk star. One of the review of WD Caviar Black told that it is Reliable, Good price to performance ratio, Excellent warranty coverage, Great R/W Performance, Good Featureset. But it also heard that it heats up a bit and bit expensive.This would be enough reasons for you to buy WD Caviar Black.