Thread: What is an IR cable for TV box

What is an IR cable for TV box

I just had cable installed, but the guy only installed a box that gets digital on one t.v. I am trying to set up my Tivo to receive Digital Cable (Comcast) from my cable box. The rest are analog. I am trying to put the box on my computer that I watch t.v. on the most, but the install program says that it is not detecting a "IR" cable. So, i would like to know that what is an IR cable for TV box? How do I make the box work with my computer? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly provide me the correct information on the above problem. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is an IR cable for TV box

IR stands for infrared controller, which allows your dvr to change channels on a cable or satellite box. It is not so hard to cut the wire and extend it. If you hook it directly to the tv you don't need it, if it is to control a cable/satellite box you need it. The cable has three wires inside and a shield,so buy the proper length of cable and cut the original near the plug and then solder the wires(there are different colors ) Isolate them with tape.

The IR cable the program is attempting to detect is usually found on the cable box or in it's packaging. Just place the IR emitters so they can send signal to the front window of the cable box. This is an extension cable that plugs into the cable box's IR port, and has a long cable and a little small rectangle attached to the end, it's about the size of a button on your keyboard, maybe a little smaller.

If you are setting up with a Set Top Box (STB) on your cable or satelitte. As most people that need blasters have more than one device, that is how most of them are made. If you have direct cable (no STB), then you don't need the IR receiver/emitter kit. The reason being, if you have a STB,there would be no way for Media Center to change channels to the proper station.

Your extender is either defective or the wrong one. Try again. According to me you will still need a power supply, an eye (receiver), and a emmiter (transmiter), and a block to connect them. You need a MC compatible IR receiver if you want to receive the output from your STB using S-Video or composite and you want to tell MC that you have a STB and you want to use the MC EPG. It's purpose is so you can remote control the box from another room , like your computer room so you don't have to get up, go to the TV room, change channels, go back to the computer room to see what's on, and do this over and over.