Thread: Error 'code 41' while reinstalling DVD Drive

Error 'code 41' while reinstalling DVD Drive

I had removed my DVD writer, since my Friend wanted that. Later when I am trying to start the DVD, I am getting the message that the Windows successfully loaded the Device Driver for this Hardware but cannot find the Hardware device. Also it shows CODE 41. I am using the Windows XP as operating system. Is there any issue with my DVD Writer or is it OS that is causing the problem.?? Help me to isolate this issue..!!
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

Re: Error 'code 41'

This error normally comes when Windows does not detect a non Plug and Play device. If you have removed DVD, then uninstall the respective driver, then install the device and then scan for the hardware changes to reinstall the driver. So uninstall the DVD driver from the Device Manager and after connecting the DVD-RW install the driver. The error will be fixed.

Re: Error 'code 41' While reinstalling DVD Drive

You can resolve this issue by making the changes in the Registry.
    Follow the steps :

1. Press Start Button and click on Run.
    2. Type regedit (regedit.exe) in Run and click OK.
    3. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. On the Edit Menu, click on Delete option and then click OK.
    5. Then in the same key in Registry locate the LowerFilters :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

After deleting this entry, the Code 41 will get fixed.

Re: Error 'code 41' while reinstalling DVD Drive

I was facing the same problem. I deleted the Registry Entries similarly mentioned by the ThoMas321 and uninstalled the drivers. When I connected back my CD Drive, I scanned for new Hardware and installed the driver again. And after that everything started to work normally. Hope this will help too.

I would like to aware you that after you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, there might be the lost in the functionality in some particular program related to CD Recording. Then you will have to reinstall that specific software. Usually problems in the registry usually occur due to the accumulation of invalid, obsolete, and other junk information within it. This junk data causes the registry to bloat up and may even cause damage to other registry entries. So it is recommended that you should perform registry scans regularly.

A cause for the Code 41 error is Hardware Device that has been removed after the driver was loaded or issue with the device driver itself. Before deleting the registry values it is better to restart your system. Then delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values. Uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers for the device that's experiencing the Code 41 error is a likely solution to this problem. If the problem persists then try to install the latest driver from the internet. And if the problem is recurring then there should be some hardware issue.