Thread: PC restarts when DVD/CD is inserted in the drive

PC restarts when DVD/CD is inserted in the drive

Hello there, Recently i have been facing this very unusual problem with my desktop computer. Whenever I insert DVD/CD in the DVD drive, the PC restarts . I was using an LG DVD drive earlier but changed it with new LG DVD/RAM drive as i thought my older drive had problem. But there is no change in the behavior even after changing the Drive. I suspect it is because of my operating system which is Windows XP (SP3). This is my configuration, Intel Pentium 4 processor with an Intel 910e motherboard and 512 mb ram. Is this because my computer is too old for the new drive? Please help

Re: PC restarts when DVD/CD is inserted in the drive

I think your configuration is the main reason behind this problem. DVD RAM drives are new devices which communicate on much faster rates. As your configuration is old, it may not be able to communicate with it at the same rate which is resulting in your PC getting restarted. Get the drive changed with some other drive which is compatible with your system.

Windows XP service pack 3 has many issues. One of the major issue with Windows XP sp3 is Incompatibility. Many devices don't function properly in Windows XP sp3. Try to get drivers for your drive which are compatible with version of windows you are using or format the pc and install Windows Xp with service pack 2 which is more stable as compared to the version you are using.

Try changing the IDE cable which connecting the drive to the motherboard. The problem you described can be because of the faulty IDE cable which is connecting the drive. Before replacing the cable, check the cable by connecting some other device to it. If the other device works fine then there is no problem with the cable and there is something wrong with the Drive. If the drive is under warranty get it replaced.

This is a power issue and you need to replace the SMPS of your computer. Your pc is older than 2 years and must be having a power supply with rating of 300 watts. As you add new devices to the computer, more wattage is to make all the devices properly. If the power delivered is not enough then the computer restarts which is happening in your case. Replacing the older SMPS with a new 400 watts SMPS will do the trick for you. Hope this post helps.

You can use the Windows diagnostic tool to check if the drive is working properly or not. To do that you will have to boot the system in diagnostic mode. To boot in diagnostic mode, type msconfig in the run tab. Now select "Boot in Diagnostic mode". Let the pc restart in diagnostic mode and then check the drive by inserting CD/DVD. If the device works properly without restarting then there is a driver conflict, which can be solved by removing the drivers and reinstalling it.