Thread: Western digital raptor

Western digital raptor

Hi I purchased new computer system with western digital raptor X hard drive. And I know about western digital regular raptor. I don't know what is the difference between them. Or it its waste less to western digital raptor x hard drive. Can any one what makes WD raptor X differ with the WD regular raptor. Help me please.

Re: Western digital raptor

There is a big difference between these raptors, raptor X and raptor regular. For this difference you have to pay more money around $50 fro a window. The company western digital cannot list the differences between them. listing one has TLER, but there no listing TLER on other. And reality is both the WD raptor has TLER, and they did not list on the drive. So the person who knows about it, he never goes for the latest one and spends extra money.

Raptor regular and raptor X are designed for RAID/Servers and gamers respectively. Western Digital raptor regular work better than raptor X due TLER. But where the operation are in single drive so its works faster for gamer users. I go for raptor regular because I using RAID and I want high performance without paying for 15000 for drives and SCSI. But raptor x cannot provide high end performance for the RAID and also we to more money up to $50.

Whethear 15000 hard drive that sata not sata. you going to get without strictly SCSI interface, as 15 k sata hard disk. The thing which you need extra to sata hard disk, Sata compatible cable and controller. In comparison Western digital are not expensive, but there are less customer because of less use, that why the price is too high about more/G. Instead of going with SCSI there is a cheaper solution of 15K. You can get 160 SCSI controller cable and 15k SCSI hard drive.

This true that 15k SCSI and U160 card, it works great together. And this also cost effective you can make a whole setup, with having a new hard drive of 75GB.
    There is a main reason, because this give me fast SCSI and SAS drives the hardware that made for server usage but this not works good for the desktop computers.

Western Digital WD74Gb Raptor (10K RPM)

Speed 10000 Rotation per minute
    It has 8 MB buffer size
    2.99 latency

Start and stop cycles 20000
    Seek Time(ST)
    RST 4.5 ms
    WST 5.9 ms
    T2T ST 0.6 ms
    FSS 10.2 ms

There is 2 physical heads.