Thread: Western Digital WD20EADS Hard Drive Error

Western Digital WD20EADS Hard Drive Error

I recently installed Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EADS Hard Drive on my windows vista system. It doesn't work fine. I get Error Message: Disk Boot failure. My windows vista computer will boot without any problem when I set the BIOS boot sequence to CD ROM but it gives error message when it is set hard disk as first boot device. Anyone out there think of something else I could try?

Re: Western Digital WD20EADS Hard Drive Error

If the wd20eads drive caused pc not to boot when attached, it won't get any better in a usb device. Sounds like the drive is messed up at this point. Can you get to Safe Mode with it on a salve and then run check disk? Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems. The tool then tries to repair any that it finds. For example, Chkdsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors.

Verify that there is no floppy diskette or disc in the computer. If the boot options are set improperly the computer could be trying to boot from the disc drive instead of the wd20eads hard drive. If you've recently installed any new hardware it's suggested that it be removed to verify it's not causing this issue. If after the device has been removed the computer works and it was another IDE / EIDE device ensure that the jumpers are properly set on the hard disk drive.

The disk boot failure could come from a number of sources. Restart the computer, If the computer wont boot from thewd20eads hard drive, then it is probably because the boot sequence has been changed, which is why you may get the error your getting.

Are the boot options correctly set in BIOS ? Is there a non bootable CD or Floppy your PC? Sounds more like a configuration issue than an actual HW/SW issue. Do you have a bootable device such as a Hard Drive Installed? Is the wd20eads hard disk plugged in? Have you checked your system for viruses?

Check for your BIOS setting. Check for the order of devices to boot from. Because it might be possible that your settings allow your computer to boot only from the local wd20eads hard disk and if that wd20eads disk is not working properly your computer throws the error message as it is not having anything to boot from. If none of these conditions are a problem then more then likely you are dealing with a logical crash. A logical crash in this case is to your Boot sector.