Thread: Windows 7 64 bit Canon Rebel XTI compatibility issue

Windows 7 64 bit Canon Rebel XTI compatibility issue

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit as my operating system. I am having trouble to get my canon rebel xti (400D) to work under windows 7 64 bit. When i go to the control panel, i can see my Canon camera icon in the devices and printers window with a yellow triangle indicating it's not working properly. So, i would like to know that how can i resolve Windows 7 64 bit Canon Rebel XTI compatibility issue? Do i need to install some 3 party specific drivers? Any body knows about it? Please help me to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Windows 7 64 bit Canon Rebel XTI compatibility issue

EOS utility will only start when it detects a card in a card reader or, presumably, a camera attached to the computer and quite possibly only if it's been configured as such. When you say it can't read raw do you mean you can't open a shot that is already on your hard drive or you can't download from the XT to your computer? You need software from Canon XTi. I did not see any Windows 7 software for the XTi, but you can try the Vista x64 software.

While I don't normally use DPP I do have it on my computer so I checked and I have no problem opening up raw shots from my XT. Go into your camera settings and change the "communication mode" from "PC Connection" to "Print/PTP". Windows 7 and Vista apparently only recognize the PTP format for connecting. I did that after having the same problems you described and it works now.

Please note you may need the Windows Live installed for the ability to download. Make sure you have the latest drivers and software for your camera(s) downloaded and installed from the Canon website. Not sure if its because I'm using a 64 bit operating system now instead of a 32 bit one or if Canon is just slow in getting new drivers ready. After connecting the camera to a PC using interface cable IFC-400 PCU (Included), selecting [EOS Utility] in the dialog that appears, and beginning the transfer by pressing the Print/share button.

Killen's got it right. This fixed my problem after days of fighting with it!

Thank you!