Thread: Windows 7 usb drive problem

Windows 7 usb drive problem

I am running Windows 7, build 7600. I have a Dell Lattitude D630. All other usb pen drives work perfectly except for mine, the one with all my work on it. When I go to disk management, I see the drive but it has no letter assigned to it. I have tried uninstalling it but when it tells me it is installed. I am not sure if this is a diver problem or something. When I try to manually assign a drive letter I get the following error: "The operation failed to complete because Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart computer." can any one tell me that why i'm having Windows 7 usb drive problem? Any idea about it? Kindly help me out ti resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Windows 7 usb drive problem

Another possibility could be your BIOS. Have you updated your BIOS? If not then do it, but back up any data first. Please check if your usb disk is passowrd protected. In the case of sd card in usb card reader the card is unvisible until you don't remove passoword. Needless to say that your motherboard should support USB Boot feature to make use of the bootable USB drive.

Try another USB port and see if the error still exists. The USB sockets worked fine for other devices like a mouse, just not for mass storage. If you are not able to boot after following this guide means you haven’t set the BIOS priority to USB. Why there is no driver(s) for your drive(s) is because they are not ready as of yet. Windows 7 drivers will not be out until well after the operating system ships. If it works under XP then you should stick with that for now and just play around with Windows 7.

It might be a driver issue with Windows 7 and external USB drives. But maybe the driver itself is damaged. However, since the error message indicated that “Disk Management console view is not up-to-date”, it is still suggested referring to the following site and download the BIOS update for Dell Lattitude D630.