Thread: Screensaver and Power settings not working on Windows 7

Screensaver and Power settings not working on Windows 7

I had recently installed Windows 7 on my system. Now the problem is that windows 7 screensaver does not start, instead the system locks up or goes to sleep, sometimes it does not wake up. Basically I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and figured out what software or hardware could be causing it or if anyone knows of a tool to check what input is keeping the computer out of the idle state. Why does my screensaver and power settings not working on Windows 7? Any idea about it? Kindly help me out to get rid of the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Screensaver and Power settings not working on Windows 7

Do you need to do anything to wake up your PC after it goes into the "Sleep" mode after 2 hrs? Go into "change advanced power settings" where you choose to never turn off the monitor. Or simply hitting the RTN/any keys on the keyboard would wake up your PC? Scroll down and make sure the "display" setting is "never" there also. Be logged on as administrator when doing this.

You can find a computer in problem, disable all third party programs including security programs to see if it will get into screensaver. Probably some piece of software doing monitoring or poling or writing to log. I think one time I found UPSMON as a guilty party though it seems fine now. But it was logging every second or so and would wake it up. Also you can unplug mouse and keyboard as a test. Sometimes mouse driver will cause such issue.

This might be because of some program that you have/had running at the moment you turned off the monitor. Some programs are programmed on purpose to disable the activation of the screen saver.First thing I would do is see if all my hardware drivers are up to date. The Windows drivers are the best match for most hardware but you may have better results with drivers obtained directly from manufacturers.

If no useful information is found, we can confirm the issue is caused due to the driver incompatibly issue, especially the display card\chipest. To resolve the issue, please disable these programs from running in the background every time you start the computer. I suggest you can contact manufacturers for further assistance. Please be informed that when you disable these programs, you are not uninstalling them.