Thread: Can power supply short circuit raise some problem

Can power supply short circuit raise some problem

I just want to share a concern with you. Last week I was playing on my pc when all of a sudden there was like a big "Snap!" and got a spark at the power supply. I have concluded that my power supply had short circuited. My pc died, but I switched back and everything seems to work. STRANGE!

My question is where will this problem be affected? Could this screw up my computer?

Re: Can power supply short circuit raise some problem

This can either corrupt your operating system or could raise some hardware damage. If your pc turns on again, you might be risked at instability of voltage. You can check this with the help of an OCCT test. Download it from internet.

Ok thank you, I have downloaded and installed OCCT. But I've never used this kind of software. Is there anything to settle down before starting anything?

I do not think this is a good thing right now.

First thing to do, make sure you have up to date backups of your data on removable media, because anything happens to computer in the near future might risk with larger losses.

Secondly, look at the power supply, and try to detect a strong chemical smell or burnt. Then see if there are traces of heat on power supply, or connectors. In other words, check that if it is good power supply.

When everything is checked and OK, then, yes, check that it is still stable with OCCT.

Finally, if there are no signs of electrical problems, I suggest to play with your power supply to test if it is dying at risk to burn out or will work to power up the config.

Start by seeing if it will still hold power, history will not pick up right away.

Well after having examined the inside of the pc, I found nothing special, not burnt or anything that will make you think. On the stroke I had even opened the tower to check if it actually smelled scorched but nothing. In short I do not found any kind of problems anywhere.