Thread: External Hard Drive with no File system

External Hard Drive with no File system

Hi, I am having a 500GB external hard drive and it does not have any File system. The drive is shown under the Device Manager. But i am not able to transfer the files to it. It gives the error that there is no file system and the disk need to format. But when i format the hard disk the error comes that "WINDOWS IS UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE FORMAT" . What is the problem of hard disk?
    Last edited by CACTUS101; 26-11-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Re: External Hard Drive with no File system

First of all check your Hard disk drive that it is working properly or not. Connect your hard drive with USB cable to the system. Right click on the driver icon in the My Computer. Select format option from the list. Select the file system you want on your external hard drive. There are two type of file systems FAT32 and NTFS. Select one of these file system , But it is better to format the drive using FAT32 system. Because if the hard disk is converted into the NTFS system it may be not possible to format it in the FAT32 file system.

Your hard drive not showing any file system that means it is showing as RAW in your computer. First check your hard drive on some other computer system. Connect it to the computer and format it. If the problem is resolved then it was the problem of your computer system or it can be the problem of your operating system. If the problem is not resolved yet then it is the possibility that the hard drive is corrupted.

If your HDD is not showing any file system ie. it is changed to RAW , then First thing you can try is formatting. If formatting does not solves your problem then check it with the other computer system. If this is also not working then it is corrupted HDD. Now you have only one option left with your HDD. Use RAW file system recovery system. You can easily download it from the internet. It will recover your HDD data. It will also recover the file system of your Hard drive.