Thread: Transfer of disk space from one partition to another

Transfer of disk space from one partition to another

I have an ACER Aspire 5315 with a hard disk of 232 GB. This hard drive is divided into two partitions each with about 111 GB. I wish to reduce the disk space of C and transfer the disk space to the disk D. I will keep C only for Windows Vista and install everything else on D to avoid problems in case of relocation. How can we do this?

Re: Transfer of disk space from one partition to another

As per my knowledge, GParted application can manipulate the partition size, but on Vista, I do not know if it works. Basically GParted is a partition editor for creating, reorganizing, and deleting disk partitions. GParted is developed on GNU/Linux. But remember to save data before any changes.

You can do so using limited utility but very easily with the help of Disk Management in Vista. To achieve this, you must first:
    - Reduce the size of the swap file (but not necessarily if necessary) and delete the hiberfil.sys to put the odds on his side (execute powercfg-h off).
    - Defragment the C drive and ensure that there is no files in the background partition. For here the utility Defraggler is fairly free, it allows to defragment, and especially to see the occupation of physical blocks.
    - Then reduce the partition c: in seeing what offers the tool as minimization. It is likely that the minimum score will be slightly larger than half the original.
    - Transfer all relevant data from the D: partition in a temporary folder c: assuming there is enough room, which is generally the case when the question arises in early life of the PC, if disk is external.
    - Simply delete the partition D: for unallocated space more with what has been released by c:
    - Finally, recreate the D: partition with all free space and return the data and then restore the file hiberfil (powercfg-h run on)

With this manip you should get a C: about 70 to 80GB and D: the rest.
    I did it on another model of laptop with Vista installed.

A question: If I completely delete my D partition, is that space will be recovered automatically transferred to C? If yes, I can do and then reduce C with space not wanted? (about 170 GB of less that will be established on D). Is this feasible?

By removing D: you'll create the unallocated space at the bottom disk, its the right thing. This space remains unallocated as you do not do something, the purpose of the manip is free up space at the end of disk (and not also important) and then recreate a partition D: with this space. I do not see the point of adding it to C then reduce C: in any case this is not automatic and I do not recommend. It is sufficient to reduce C: after removing D: (with limitations that I explained above) to increase the unallocated space at the end of disc.