Thread: Can I disassemble a PSU?

Can I disassemble a PSU?

Hi friends
    I am trying to paint my computer case and replace it with new fans and I have a PSU in the computer case. The problem is that I was not using this computer for several months and also the PSU was not plugged in for many months. My question is will it be safe to take it apart so that I can replace the fans. Is there any precaution that I should take before hand. Please help guys, I want to do this in one or two days. Thanks in advance.

Re: Can I disassemble a PSU?

Hello
    I think you should not do that, my answer would be no, because there is a risk involved in that. The risk is that any thing can get messed up easily and it can cause damage to your computer. so, I think it will be better not to touch it unless and until you know the 100% of it. And one more thing, are you sure that the fan will be replaceable inside the PSU? I think you should get the fans information first, so that there are alternative fans for your replacement and then you can try the remaining. But still I would advice you not to mess with PSU.

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. I respect your advice not to touch the PSU, but I am really not worried about the computer, as it is a really old system. The fact is that I have taken the covers off already. now i can see the clip however, it is tucked back in the internals of the circuitry. And I believe that I have definitely touched something there. I just had the curiosity to know what is it and how it looks like. So, I ask again are there any precautions to take in advance, so that I can start my experiment now.

Hi
    I think you are safe to take the power supply apart. Just take a basic care that you do not power it up outside the case. you said that you are replacing the fans with an new once. So be sure that the flow of the air is in the same direction. Also check beforehand that the new fans have the same or more flow of air that the current once. Normally the computer power supply i have seen are 12V fans. But the old fans are different I do not know it exactly. But you can easily search for a fan which is compatible to your system. Also make sure that you leave it unplugged for a few hours ahead of time so that the capacitors are completely discharged. I think it will be safe to disassemble your PSU by taking some basic precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Killen View Post
    Hi
    I think you are safe to take the power supply apart. Just take a basic care that you do not power it up outside the case. you said that you are replacing the fans with an new once. So be sure that the flow of the air is in the same direction. Also check beforehand that the new fans have the same or more flow of air that the current once. Normally the computer power supply i have seen are 12V fans. But the old fans are different I do not know it exactly. But you can easily search for a fan which is compatible to your system. Also make sure that you leave it unplugged for a few hours ahead of time so that the capacitors are completely discharged. I think it will be safe to disassemble your PSU by taking some basic precautions.
    Don't disassemble a PSU or the warranty will be invalid...