Thread: Problem with Seagate Momentus hard drive

Problem with Seagate Momentus hard drive

I'm having a notebook which has a Seagate Momentus hard drive. Now the problem is that when i turn on my system, it boots to Windows Xp, it automatically runs the scandisc and then it reboots my system. But when i try to cancel the scandisc test, my pc gets freeze up. Now the problem is that when i try to format my hard drive, it gets stop on the end of formatting process stating an error message " partition magic - error ". Can any one tell me that why i'm not able to format my hard drive? Why i'm having problem with my Seagate Momentus hard drive? Any one knows about it? Please help me to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Problem with Seagate Momentus hard drive

The Momentus comes in 2 different form factors for hookup. The error is displayed when the system drive is not one of the few approved disks listed inside the BIOS, and may indicate a real problem. It's either a Ultra ATA or a SATA. I think the serial at you described is a typo on the specs. I bet it should say Serial ATA and not Serial AT. These systems have a SATA disk controller, and employ a SATA-to-PATA bridge in order to use PATA (IDE) drives.

Seagate's Momentus drive is a recent addition into the laptop hard disk market and comes in capacities from 30Gb to 250Gb. Try to go to BIOS and at exit menu and try "load setup defaults". I did this before I installed my OCZ core SSD and works great though I did it with a clean formatted SSD.may be you can also format the HDD in another PC and slot it in 1000H,then at first power up hit F2 to go to BIOS and choose "load setup defaults". As their popularity increases, we are beginning to see more of them fail and come in for data recovery.

Contact Support and have them replace the drive or replace the whole computer. You should not have to update the firmware on a new computer. These hard drives are susceptible to all the usual types of hard drive failure - ie. electronic faults, mechanical faults, media degradation etc. There are additionally, 2 unique types of failure.