Thread: computer keeps losing sound

computer keeps losing sound

Hello to all,
    My Compaq computer is completed 2 year now but i don't get any problem till last month but from last month my get this problem of loosing sound in midway.After getting frustrated I re-install operating system.Now installing new OS after two days all of a sudden I have lost sound and can't get it back.I think it has something to do with overclocking because sometimes when i go back to defaults i get sound back. I don't exact problem so if you have any idea how this happened and have solution for this then it will be helpful for me.For your information my computer is running windows xp SP2,Processor:1.8ghs,RAM:512
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Chandranath; 16-11-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Re: computer keeps losing sound

When something wrong happened with your computer you may think that some serious has happened and we forget to check simple think that cause that problem .So my advise is to you that first start with simple stuff like below,
    1.On your check System Volume control and ensure that you don't mute that sound.
    2.Disconnect all the cables for all the speakers and then reconnect them.
    3.Is speaker is turn on,check whether it's light turn on.
    4.Some it may happened when we play corrupted song or video file.

It may happened because we only do some external setting that are visible to us on computer or in other sense that are known to us.But some time there some internal or core setting that are creating such type of problem.You may have ensure that no sound is muted but have you go to control panel to do some internal setting .Here below I show you way to turn on sound
    Open Control panel->Open the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon ->Check that "Place volume icon in the taskbar" is checked. If this option is not available or is grayed out, skip to the next section of this document->If you were able to check this box, click OK and close out of this window and the Control Panel->Double-click the sound icon in the Systray and verify that all the sound volumes are mid-way or higher

As per your problem I think it happened due to sound card drivers are incorrectly installed ,I suggest you that turn off your computer ,disconnect your sound card and again fit it properly.Then open Control Panel -> System-> click the Hardware tab -> click Device Manager and then see if there are any notifications under Sound, video and game controllers, if there is a yellow exclamation point then your driver for your sound card is not correctly installed. In this case you need re-install the driver.If you have sound card driver then in-stall it manually or repair your windows xp . Windows cannot tell you what sound card you have installed, unless the driver is installed.