Thread: Hard drive shows up on BIOS up but not under windows

Hard drive shows up on BIOS up but not under windows

I have a computer with 2 IDE hard disk drives, Both the hard disks are working fine. Now i need to expand the storage and hence i got a new hard disk. Its a SATA hard disk. I connected the hard disk to the Computer and yes, it shows in BIOS, I boot from my Windows XP and then nothing happens, I cannot see my hard disk. Please help. Why does my Hard drive shows up on BIOS up but not under windows? Can anyone suggest me something?

Re: Hard drive shows up on BIOS up but not under windows

Try this :
    Right-Click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. There can you see your hard disk Drive? If yes, what is written beside your Disk Driver. Like NTFS, Unallocated, etc? Check this thing and post back. If your disk is not listed in Disk Management, Check in BIOS again it is not detected there too...

Thanks for taking time and replying to my question. I checked in the BIOS, i can see my new disk which is shows as 500GB hard disk. I checked in the Disk management, there is no hard disk detected. Hows is this possible? Do i need to install any software for using SATA hard disk drives? Please help...

Open Device Manager and see if there your disk is listed under Hard disks along with your two IDE drives? Right-Click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager. If no, are there any missing drivers? Do you have all the drivers installed properly? Which motherboard do you have? Do post back!

Thanks, but in Device manager i cannot see my disk drives too, I see some yellow icons with "?" and some yellow icons with "!" symbols. What does this mean? Also my USB ports are not working. I think this happened after i re-installed Windows XP. Can this cause a problem? Please help. I have a Asus Motherboard with AMD Sempron processor. Please advice friends...

OK! The driver for System Bus Controller can cause this problem. Try this out, Use your Asus Motherboard CD to install drivers for all the devices. Generally the motherboard driver CDs are autorun. Insert the disk and let it auto play. Then check all the drivers and click Next/Install whatever option you get. Your CD will then install drivers for you automatically. During this process, your computer may reboot several times, so don't worry and just sit back till all the drivers are installed. Once all the drivers are installed, check in the Disk Management whether your drivers appear or not...