Thread: How intel processors are classified ?

How intel processors are classified ?

hi ppl !

i would like to know, "on what basis , intel processors (like p3,p4,dual core,core2Duo,core2Quad,etc) are classified...

What are the advancements in the successors???

<< The basic thing is the speed increases in advanced models>> BUT WHAT MAKES TO INCREASE THE SPEED ??

PLZ REPLY !!!

thank u
    Last edited by knightwarrior007; 09-11-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Re: How intel processors are classified ?

Finally an Intel has decided to make the naimg schemes of its processor more easy to understand for its customers. This scheme focuses on a brand of Intel named Core
    eg.
    Core 2 Duo,
    Core 2 Quad, etc
    (This is on the bases of the time variations as

These are the forthcoming Intel Core processors:

Core i5: intermediate processors;
    Core i3: simple processors.

If you go in detail then there is a long list of Intel' Processor. The basic thing that that first the processors are classified on the basis of system they are installed. Like Intel Embedded Chipset, Server Workstation Chipsets, Performance/Mainstream Desktop Chipsets, Value Desktop Chipsets, Desktop Boards and Other. Here is a small list of processor which are most commonly used in Desktop system and laptops. They first start from Intel Atom, Intel Celeron, Intel Xeon, Pentium 4, Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, Pentium M, Pentium D/EE, Intel Pentium Dual-Core, Intel Core, Intel Core 2, Intel Core i3Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7 and Intel Core i9.

With every Intel processor release a slight technology is changed, with a major release the technology changes are more.
    More details -
    1) The Pentium III - the brand refers to Intel's 32-bit x86 desktop and mobile microprocessors based on the sixth-generation Intel P6 micro-architecture. The initial processors of this brand were very similar to the earlier Pentium II-branded microprocessors.
    2) Pentium 4 - the brand Pentium 4 refers to Intel's line of single-core mainstream and high-end desktop and laptop central processing units (CPUs). They had the 7th-generation microarchitecture, called NetBurst, which was the companys major design since 1995.
    3) Pentium Dual-Core - the brand Pentium Dual-Core refers to mainstream x86-architecture microprocessors from Intel. They are based on either the 32-bit Yonah 64-bit Merom, Allendale, and their latest models E5200 and Wolfdale core are targeted at desktop computers and mobile.
    4) Intel Core - the brand Intel Core is a name used for various mid-range to high-end consumer and business microprocessors. Processors sold as Core are more powerful than Celeron and Pentium. More capable versions of core processors are Xeon processors and are currently sold in market.