Thread: Problem Installting Windows 7 on Dynamic disk

Problem Installting Windows 7 on Dynamic disk

Hi,
    I have two hard disk in my computer. The first has three partitions in it. The first partition has Windows XP. It also has a 8Mb of reserved space which consist of some manufacturers recovery software. The second one I had kept for data and games. Now I am trying to install the same in the second drive. I had booted the system with Windows 7 DVD and clicked on Advanced Installation option. The problem here is that the installation doe not continues. And I cannot format my first drive as it has data in it. Any suggestion on this will be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Problem Installting Windows 7 on Dynamic disk

This is due to Windows 7 installation. Windows Vista and Windows 7 does not allows installation of the operating system on a dynamic disc in order to guarantee your data security. It simply converts the dynamic disc to basic to avoid data loss. Try to use a Dynamic disk converter. This converter will help you to convert the targeted disk to basic without deleting your data. But just take a backup before doing this.

There are only limited version of Windows Vista and Windows 7 which support dynamic disc installation. If you have other version other than what listed below then you will have to upgrade your software for the same. The version which support dynamic disc are Windows Vista Business/Enterprise/ Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise/Professional/Ultimate, Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter/Enterprise/Standard and Windows Web Server 2008 R2. Other than this if you have Windows Vista Home Basic/Home Premium and Starter then it will not work.

It is not possible to install Windows 7 on the dynamic disk. You will face error message setup was unable to create a new system partition something like that. That means you have multiple disc on your system. The only way to install Windows 7 is to eliminate the extra hard drive and run installation again.