Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

All Folders & Files on my external drive cannot be read and accessed ?!

Hardware Peripherals

Old 18-10-2009

sad All Folders & Files on my external drive cannot be read and accessed ?!

Hello,

I have been using my external hard drive for around 6 months now and has been working with no problems.

I went into it recently to work on some files and ALL my folders and files are in gobble-dee-gook language. I have attached a screen-shot of the files & folders so you can see for yourself.

I have plugged it into other computers and laptops and it is showing the same weird language.

I cannot open any of the files or folders.

I am running Windows XP SP2

My External HDD details are:
Memorex 160GB
Model # ETD160GW

Has my external-hard drive crashed? I have a lot of work on there that is important. Is there anyway I can get it back?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by jadegirl : 18-10-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 19-10-2009

Re: All Folders & Files on my external drive cannot be read and accessed ?!

See following threads if they helps you:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/705820.htm
http://forums.techarena.in/xp-hardware/985839.htm
http://forums.techarena.in/server-de...nt/1145072.htm
External hard drive not recognized by Windows Vista

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"
Old 19-10-2009

Well there has been a virus infection which has resulted in the data corruption or your hard disk was removed without safety measures which did the data corruption. I don't think there's a way to recover the data from the disk, but try some data recovery softwares...
Old 19-10-2009

Thank you to both replies - will have a go at some data recovery prog's, if successful, will post on here for other silly people who forgot to back-up on a regular basis :-)

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , ,