Thread: Good configuration with ESX Server

Good configuration with ESX Server

I'm thinking of a pc config that I'd like to have at home. I have two questions for you:

1. I want to test with ESX Server while being able to switch to a Linux distribution. I know that the dual-boot is not possible, so I thought to use two disks (ESX & VM + Fedora) that I connect as needed. I know it's not very practical but I see no other possibilities, so if you know, I am listening. The disadvantage of this technique is that if my records are different (eg size), each PC startup (every time I change the record), I get a message telling me that the bios my config change, etc. Is it possible to store two profiles config in the bios?

2. In fact, it is long since I have not mounted PC, I am no longer the latest configs, etc. I have a budget of approximately $750 to buy: Motherboard-CPU-6GB of ram

Could you recommend a good configuration? (need lots of performance, I care little 3d)

Re: Good configuration with ESX Server

1. Such a configuration on branded PC like Compaq complains a lot. It may also complain even if you enable the bios options like "halt on no error", "halt on no error to keyboard" etc..

2. You may get a better performance for very cheaper budget with the Athlon X4 II 620, a motherboard such as Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H with 4, 6 or 8GB of Ram.

Thank you for your response

1 - Yes what worries me is if I put hardware raid with two disks (ESX server) and a disk for Linux, whenever I pass a solution to another, I do not have error messages probably due to a change of configuration, I will rigorously test and I'll see what happens.

2 - I need a processor as powerful as possible (multiple virtual machines).

There are motherboards that can save different bios profiles. But I did not understand what the problem was with the dual boot (manual, rack, switch, ...) and an error bios? I have never seen a report that the bios config hdd had changed.

For info, the modern Asus have a boot menu for dual boot the manual (which is handy), f8 at boot and then choose hdd (or USB key, etc..) is going exceptionally boot. It avoids juggle hdd in the tower or in the bios.