Thread: External 1394/USB Hard Drive Problem(s)

External 1394/USB Hard Drive Problem(s)

I recently purchased an external hard-drive enclosure for another external Lacey hard-drive that i had, that i thought had broken from a fall from the computer desk(later i found that it wasn't broken, but just a software glitch/conflicting with another device). Anyway, so i removed the Maxtor Harddisk from the old 1394 enclosure and placed it in this newly ebay bought Firewire/USB 2.0 enclosure. I turned it on, and the USB connection worked but the 1394 didn't, as mentioned earlier, i realized that it was a software problem with both the enclosures, and i resolved that problem by removing all devices from the PC, rebooted and gave it another try, and the firewire connection worked. I thought that was it, but it wasn't over.

So i tried to move a 4.0 GB file onto the Harddrive and i received a "Delayed Write Failure", but i was unscathed, as i had dealt with this message before years ago with the old hard drive enclosure. However this time around, i was unsuccessful. I had tried every solution, but i was unable to solve that problem. In my last attempt to resolve the dreaded "Delayed Write Failure" error, i downloaded update firmware software from the manufacturer's website. - http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=44

I followed the instructions to the letter, however, midway through the update process, i received a message indicating that (for reasons unknown) the update process could not continue. I thought i would try again, but my Harddrive icon was nowhere to be found. Now i've tried everything, both USB and Firewire connections, but my harddrive is not detected. The old enclosure works just fine.
    Help me!!!
    HELP me before i kill myself....

Re: External 1394/USB Hard Drive Problem(s)

Such Firewire/USB 2.0 enclosure are always troublesome, first there was no need to update its firmware as it not for end users the product must be auto detect , first check that your hard drive is working else if this enclosure is under warranty claim your warranty

Re: External 1394/USB Hard Drive Problem(s)

Well, the light comes on when i plug it in and push the on button. Other than that, i don't know how to check if it's working...