Thread: Downgrade Windows XP to Vista in Compaq Presario CQ40

Downgrade Windows XP to Vista in Compaq Presario CQ40

I have a Compaq Presario CQ40 notebook. I am facing serious slow performance. I was using Windows Vista before. Now I want to install Windows XP in it. I am looking for drivers and other solution for the same. I searched on internet I had not found the drivers for XP version. Again I did not want to put Vista back again. Windows XP is most stable. Some software which does not work on Vista will work on Windows XP. Thanks in advance.

Re: Downgrade Windows XP to Vista in Compaq Presario CQ40

There is always driver issue at the time of downgrading. The notebook which you are talking about is a issue here. You want to downgrade Windows Vista to Windows XP. I will recommend you to visit the official site of HP and get a driver update for the same. Try to browse for drivers of Windows XP version. Because if you format your system without the drivers then it is possible that your audio, video, network, etc will not work.

I do not thing that this is possible. Because there is no Windows XP driver available for this product. See the below link. It will direct you to the driver page. The page offers drivers of Windows 7 32 & 64 bit, Windows Vista 32 & 64 bit and Windows 2000. Windows XP is not available. I will recommend you to contact HP for this.
    Compaq Presario Driver

You can do one thing here. Install Windows XP and for installing the other hardware use the Driver Cd which is offered to you while purchasing the laptop. That drivers are for Windows Vista. Many time drivers support downgrading. The drivers which work on Vista works on Windows XP also. You have to just give a chance here. Second thing download and install CPUZ. It will give you the exact specification of your system. Note down the model number of motherboard. Find the drivers for that. If you can get the official site then your issue is solved.