Thread: Power Supply on Dell Inspiron 545 Desktop

Power Supply on Dell Inspiron 545 Desktop

I just picked up a Dell Inspiron 545 desktop computer. The specs are all great except for the video. Looking at some of the 1gb cards out there, they require a 500+ watt power supply. According to Dell, they will only support up to a 350W PS on this motherboard. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? If I buy a new PSU and drop it in there am I going to fry my board? 256MB of video just won't cut it and I need to know if I screwed myself royally. If you need more information, let me know and I will provide what I can.

Re: Power Supply on Dell Inspiron 545 Desktop

You should be fine upgrading the PS to a 500W as the voltages are all standard, the extra Watts just allow you to add more hardware.

Howerver you could just wait and see how it goes, get the new graphics card and if it doesn't work or has troubles then get a better PS.

It all depends own what else you have in there, lots of HDDs will drain a bit.

If you decide to upgrade your PS just make sure it has the correct type and number of plugs for the mother board/drives, get a decent one you don't want a loud cheap one.

If anything goes wrong just put all the dell stuff back in and call dell for the warranty

The system's 300W power supply could easily support these HD-related upgrades. Users can easily upgrade the Inspiron 545 with these add-ons either through a third-party vendor or from the Dell website itself. You could even install a moderately powerful graphics card later with HD capabilities (ATI's Radeon HD 3450 and 3650 are available as BTO upgrades if you get the system direct from Dell). The Inspiron 545's 300W power supply is more than enough to ensure that these upgrades will work without a hitch.

i was thinking of building a pc i was just wondering if my dell inspiron would be able to handle a normal atx psu