Thread: What is PCMCIA

What is PCMCIA

Hi, i am sorry if i am posting this in wrong section. While searching some information about card reader on this forum, i found a word PCMCIA many times related to the same. Well, i got what i needed but i wanted to know what is meant by PCMCIA ?

Could you guys please help me out for the same ?

Re: What is PCMCIA

PCMCIA stands for Personal Computer Memory Card International Association that is the consortium of computer manufacturers that devised the standards for the credit-card style adapter cards used in many notebook computers. It is an international standards body and trade association with over 100 member companies that was founded in 1989 to establish standards for Integrated Circuit cards and to promote interchangeability among mobile computers where ruggedness, low power, and small size were critical. Their aim has been to set an international standard for what are now known as personal computer (PC) cards.

PCMCIA is a non-profit partnership of over 500 companies, founded in 1989. It defines three types of cards:

1 .Cards that can be up to 3.3 mm thick and are generally used for RAM and ROM expansion cards.

2. Cards that can be as thick as 5.5 mm and typically house modems or fax modems.

3. Cards that can be as thick as 10.5 mm and are mostly used for hard disks.

PCMCIA had defined an I/O interface for the same 68 pin connector initially used for memory cards. At the same time, the Socket Services Specification was added and was soon followed by the Card Services Specifcation as developers realized that common software would be needed to enhance compatibility.

Later, PCMCIA realized the need for higher speed applications such as multimedia and high-speed networking. From this realization came the CardBus 32-bit interface and Zoomed Video Specifications which allow blazing speed in such applications as MPEG video and 100 Mbit Ethernet. Along with these speed enhancements, PCMCIA continued to add to its specification to enhance compatibility and allow for such other mobile-oriented concerns as 3.3V operation and Power Management. Source:pcmcia.org