Thread: Hard Disk installation Problems in XP

Hard Disk installation Problems in XP

I have tried everything to install XP or Vista on my sony vaio it is give me all kinds of missing file errors when I install, I think this is the problem with its Hard disk because after all OS installation remains on the hard disk if the hard disk would be corrupted how any one of the installation would be completed successfully pleas suggest me what would be root cause of this problem.

Re: Hard Disk installation Problems in XP

First thing is to download the hard drive manufacturer's bootable diagnostic cd and make sure the drive is physically stable. A bad HD will cause these symptoms. But the problem with many of them is that you have that option ONLY if the optical drive is made by the same company. And it's not necessarily going to work with any optical drive from Sony.

I recommend you do a new install. This ensures XP doesn't inherit any of the junk you've accumulated; What is the make and model number of the HD, also try setting the SATA port to IDE ( could also be compatibility or legacy mode depending on BIOS ) mode and see if it is identified correctly and lets you install. if you can get the rom to start installing xp this way, there is a point after its finished loading setup files where you get an option (to continue installing xp from cd rom press any key) you have to be very VERY quick to press any key as the choice is only there for about 2 seconds.

Follow the manufacturers instructions and install the physical disk in your computer. Boot your computer into Windows XP. If you don't want to go through a new install and you qualify for the upgrade version of XP, you can do a quick upgrade. Windows XP should recognize that you have added additional hardware and display a new hardware ballon near your system clock. Open Disk Management in Windows XP. You do not need to boot with CD support since we’re installing XP from the files on your harddrive (in my example, D:\winxp\) Once you get to the command prompt, you can format the partition where you are installing xp if you want (ie in my example, the c:\ ) by typing: format driveletter: replace driveletter with the drive (ie format c: in my example). It may be only those made specifically for Vaios. But if you know anyone with a Sony USB CD-ROM drive that you could borrow, it may be worth a try. Windows XP may launch the Partition Wizard to initialize the new drive. If so, skip ahead to the Partition Wizard step below.