Thread: Presario 1240 doesn't charge battery

Presario 1240 doesn't charge battery

I'm having a Presario 1240 laptop. I had installed Windows Xp on it as my operating system. The problem is that whenever i try to charge my laptop battery it doesn't get charge. I had tried several times but couldn't succeed. So, can any one tell why doesn't my Presario 1240 doesn't charge the battery? What i need to do to get up my battery charge? Let me know the proper solution for the above issue. Would appreciated your help.

Re: Presario 1240 doesn't charge battery

Most laptop batteries are "Smart" batteries. The usual trick we use is to make sure the machine completely discharges on battery, then fully charge it, then fully discharge it. This means that inside the battery pack there is a small circuit board. Which holds some ROM, with hard coded data about the battery, and the facility to communicate to the charging circuit (via a serial connection called the SMBUS).

It is hard to say with 100% certainty if the batteries are at fault, or not. If you can find a "real" electronics technician the charger circuits should be repairable, but if you get a "computer" technician, it may be a bit harder to repair economically as it may become a module/board replacement activity.

It could be a couple of things, either your AC adapter, your DC extender board or your battery. The charging circuit, which is normally on the motherboard, listens to the data coming from the battery via the SMBUS, and then takes the actions required to charge that type of battery. Some laptops that I have seen have the charger board separate from the mainboard so this is probably all that would need replacing.