Thread: Not able to change the printer properties

Not able to change the printer properties

Hi, i am a Vista user and had installed a Printer on my home server. It was working fine till now but from yesterday when i am tyring to access its properties for some reason, it just won't allowing me to do anything. All options are just grayed out. I need some urgent help from you all guys regarding the same. Why am i not able to change the printer properties ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Not able to change the printer properties

When a printer is installed, members of the administrators group on the computer are given permission to manage the printer by default. And i guess you might not have permission to manage the printer as it is required because changing the printer properties can affect everyone who uses the printer.Check the permissions for systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers and all of its sub-folders. Also, check the Directory value in the following registry keys to make sure they point to the correct location. If you have an administrator account, you can probably change the printer properties. Otherwise, you need to obtain permission to manage the printer before you can change the printer properties.

To change the printer properties or perform other printing tasks without providing an administrator password, obtain permission to manage the printer from someone who already has permission or someone who has an administrator account. Here's how to see who has permission to manage the printer, so you can request permission to manage it.To do so, just go through these steps:-

• Open Printers by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.

• Right-click the printer that you want to manage, and then click Properties.

• Click the Security tab, and then click a group or user name to see who has Manage printers permission.

You need permission to change the properties or manage documents for the printer. Log on as an administrator, and then try again.To change the printer properties using an administrator account just follow this steps:-

1. Open Printers by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.
    2. Right-click the printer that you want to manage, click Run as administrator, and then click Properties.
    3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.