Thread: Where to buy a 3TB Hard drive

Where to buy a 3TB Hard drive

Hi,
    Recently it was in the news that there is a 3TB hard drive coming to the market. It is relatively great if I can add up 2 3TB hard disk to my server. I am running a publication which has tons of data and images. So It is really hard to carry the data on different network. Each day there are numerous additions. Currently I am using a 1Tb hard drive in my server. And I a looking for a much larger space. 3Tb can give more than double the space. Is it available right now for sale. I had searched over internet but no site or any information of the hard drive is available. Any suggestion would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Where to buy a 3TB Hard drive

I am not sure about the sale of 3TB hard disk. According to a new Western Digital is going to launch this hard drive next year. But that too is not sured. Western Digital is currently working on a new technology called perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR)/tunneling magneto-resistive (TuMR) head technology which is going to be implemented in the 3Tb hard drive. So you can imaging that you will get a large size along with safe and reliable hard ware. Other than this 1 Tb and 2 TB is easily available.

As far as I am concerned only 2TB hard drive are now available. You can add up that to your server. But for 3TB you will have to wait. The 2TB hard drive is also good. Though there is lower space but atleast you will get double the space of what you are getting now. The hard drive comes in 2 models. I am familiar about Seagate Barracuda and Western Digital Caviar Green. They offers you a 5,900 RPM speed.

The date for the launch of 3TB hard disk is still under suspense. It is mentioned 2012 in some article and that is a long time. Currently there are 1TB and 2TB in the market. So you can go for that instead of waiting for 3 TB drives which are still yet to comes. About the new 3TB hard drives they are built on competing storage technologies which will offer you space and data safety. It is going to built on PMR technology. Instead of that if you want more space on your network then you can add a external 3TB hard drive.