Thread: How to install a hi-speed USB host controller?

How to install a hi-speed USB host controller?

Hi,

When I plug in my USB hard drive into a USB port, a message indicates that I have to install high speed USB host controller for the driver to perform at high performance. I need a USB hub, because my remote mouse and keyboard do not work. Any help on how to install a hi-speed USB host controller?

Re: How to install a hi-speed USB host controller?

To install a hi-speed USB host controller, you can buy such as PCI cards at any computer store. Turn off your computer and open the computer case. Then slide the USB card into a free PCI slot on the motherboard of your computer. Start the computer and XP should detect the new controller. Insert any drivers CD supplied only if asked for windows XP - most do not require.

The message is tells you that the USB drive can run faster than the connection on the PC allows. This is common when connecting new USB hardware older computers. Then you go into device manager and tell it to update your drvier to get a refresh on the device and a USB 2.0 driver downloaded/applied to the device.You can buy a new USB controller card that fits into a slot on the motherboard - if you connect the USB drive on the card will run faster.

A high-speed USB controller is required for USB-2 devices to operate at full speed. If you have an older computer that does not have USB2 hardware, there is no way to install a USB 2. You'll have to consult your system documentation to see what version your hardware supports. Please note that this is a hardware version and has nothing to do with Windows. Each time you connect a USB 2 on an older computer hardware without USB2 will automatically get this message.