Thread: Pci ide bus master

Pci ide bus master

Hello,

I just bought a new PC, but do not know much, I would like to know if I can install my old hard drive (an IDE). Going to see on the Device Manager of the new PC, i "Bus Master IDE controller. is present , Does that mean that the motherboard takes into the IDE drives? ,i have also check in the bios that there is option BUS MASTER PCI IDE [Enabled / Disabled]? what these option mean , should i enable it please help me ,Thank you in advance

Re: Pci ide bus master

Yes, of course, even if IDE tends to disappear it is usually still present on the motherboard.

BIOS Settings | IDE bus master

Setting options: Enabled, Disabled. Actually, the name of this option is not right, this could be because it is not about the ability of the onboard IDE bus master controller, In fact, this oprion serves the integrated IDE controller drivers to turn on the DMA

If this feature is enabled, then the BIOS loads a 16bit Busmastermode for the onboard IDE controller, whereby the latter can transmit its data in DMA mode. One hand, this results in a much lower CPU utilization, on the other we get a much higher performance and transfer rates during the booting of the operating system and real mode DOS.

If you Dma is not activated then this settings is used to Enable the dma , with this Setting Located in the Bios You Can enable the Dma in the windows

In Bus Mastering , each element connected to the PCI bus can take full control of the bus and act like he was alone on the bus ( "Everybody listens more than me"). This technique also works now at the IDE bus. In principle, it is faster but we saw no difference if a program accesses the hard drive much or if there are several competing programs.