Thread: How to replace DVD drive in my Laptop

How to replace DVD drive in my Laptop

I have a Sony VIAO laptop PCG-F690K with a dead CD/DVD drive. It is a multi-write drive that writes to DL disks at 2.4x. The problem is that all I get is coasters with the DL media and I have tried many brands. I have updated the firmware several times and tried everything to get it to write to the DL media. It also one time stuck in the run position blocking the boot-up and a DVD drive for a DVD RW drive, and hence i have decided to replace a CD -RW drive.

Re: How to replace DVD drive in my Laptop

Unplug the laptop from the AC adapter and take out the batteries. removal of the panel that has the speakers and powerbutton on it. Remove three (or more) screws from the top of the keyboard. Carefully lift up the keyboard from the laptop case. Remove the screw and then slide the panel to the right.The keyboard connects to the motherboard via a flat ribbon cable. Before you pull the cable from the connector, you’ll have to unlock the connector.

Locate your CD/DVD drive that you need to replace. Unplug the clip that feeds sound to the sound card and label it. The Heat Sink/Fan combination is now accessible as well as the hard drive and DVD drive. Remove the drive, examine the jumpers on the back of the drive and note what setting they indicate. The available settings are Slave, Master or Master Only. Disconnect the IDE cable from the drive. The IDE cable is shown in the upper left corner. Once the bracket has been removed from the old drive install it on the new drive.

The keyboard bezel removal procedure is similar to the above mentioned Sony Vaio laptop. Lift it up with a small screwdriver and remove using fingers. Before you install the new DVD/CD-RW drive you need to remove the, L shaped, mounting bracket from the old drive so that you can install the mounting bracket on the new drive. Take your new CD/DVD drive and set the jumpers on the back of the drive the same as the jumpers that you saw on the old drive. Reconnect the drive cable, making sure that you align the red wire with the pin 1 on the connector on the drive.