Thread: What is Media Player Digital Switch

What is Media Player Digital Switch

Hi,
    Recently it was in the news that Microsoft has upgraded its Digital switch. I am now planing to build up my own media center pc. I had good C2D processor with 4 gigs of Ram and a blue ray player. I had added a TV Tuner card and upgraded to Windows Vista MCE. Now I have old TV with analog antenna. So is it possible to view Digital channel on it. What thing will I need for this. Second does the output quality will be good or Digital channel on a Analog TV will not work properly.

Re: What is Media Player Digital Switch

The digital switch upgrade means that now the newer version of Windows media center will be more responsive towards the digital channels. It will help you to see more digital channels with great output quality. There is change in the Digital TV Transition. It is the thing by which you can see channels on your TV. The transition here rely on two things. The first one is the TV receiving capacity and the second one is the TV Tuner card. So if your card is not compatible with NTSC type then you cannot receive the OTA channels. Now the channels are broadcast digitally. So the users will be affected by the change in transition system. But media center will not face such problem due to the upgrade.

Digital TV is HDTV which gives you more perfect picture and good output. While on the other hand you are familiar about the Standard TV quality. Today many channels are broadcast in the form of Digital Signals. So you need a portable antenna or set top box that can catch those digital signals. If you do not have then you will miss some channels. I will better recommend you to a sign a Digital TV service. A set top box will be provided to you by the cable company. This boxes can read both Digital and Analog channels. And you standard TV can also be used for this. A better converter will solver the issue.

The digital switch refers to the change of channels broadcast to Digital. That means all the channels which are broadcast in the form of Analog will now be send in the from of Digital. So if you have a analog receiver then some channels will not appear on the screen. The same issue I had faced when suddenly my channel number reduced. I was reeving around 50 QAM channels. So the only best way is to get a good converter or a set top box.