Thread: Problem with Macbook headphone jack

Problem with Macbook headphone jack

Ny borther has gifted me a macbook and I am using Windows XP on it. I usually listen to songs but yesterday my headphone jack stopped working. There is no signal coming if I plug my headphone into exterior headphone via the headphone jack. If anybody could give me a solution for it, then it would be great. Thanks

Re: Problem with Macbook headphone jack

I have seen this problem before that there is not at all sound coming out from the speakers at all and the usual common denominator problem is the headphone jack. So therefore try to open up Sys Prefs and click on: Sound > Output. Look at the "Choose a device for sound output" window as you plug your headphone/ext spkr jack in. Does the Sound Output listing change from 'Internal Speakers' to 'Headphones'? The usual remedy for this issue is to jiggle the headphone jack slightly to try to toggle the little switch that's inside.

Have you tried plugging the headphone in the jack gently and slightly wiggling the lead as you pull it out. I found out that sometimes my macbook would also get stucked on the headphone setting after listening to headphones on it, and this sorted things out. Only seemed to do it when it was new, it's fine now though.

I think that its a hardware problem. You can try to connect your headphone in some other pc and find it out whether its your headphone problem. The giveaway clue is the red light in the jack. this is the optical light which should not be on unless you have an optical plug in the jack. Some folks have cured this by inserting a small stick into the jack and drawing it back out with it pressed towards the left side, I think. Google for this and you are certain to find many cases, with some of the cures.
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!