Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-08-2009

LaCie 500gb hdd - not working anymore

Alright so this drive is over a year old but probably hasn't been touched for over half now.

It worked fine, then it abruptly stopped. Now it won't be recognized by any computer and I tried to see if it would show up in My Computer or under Administrator Tools in Control Panel. Neither showed this harddrive.

I have an identical Harddrive that I have been using for two years with no problems at all.

Any solutions? The computer knows some USB device has been plugged in because it does the 'duh duhh' noise when you connect something via usb.

But no bubbles show up, no window on how to open or auto play the drive and nothing like mentioned above. I thought maybe to reformat the disk, but i can't because the computer doesn't see it.

thanks

.baluk
Old 25-08-2009

Re: LaCie 500gb hdd - not working anymore

First check that you are having proper working connecting cable for your LaCie 500gb usb drive. Then now if your harddisk get detected as you connected to pc but after time it not shown up and says usb drive not recognize then problem is regarding to usb drive drivers .go to my computer > right click > mange > storage disk management > check there for your disk and if you not found better to claim your warranty.
Old 25-08-2009

I don't see what you mean by:

my computer > right click > mange > storage disk management

but i did go to disk management thru the adminstrator tools in control panel.

and the computer doesn't say it doesn't recognize this drive. it just makes the noise instantly when i plug or unplug the usb device. but no bubbles/windows show up, and nothing shows up anywhere for the drive. nor in my computer.

also, i have the same EXACT drive i use on that computer. and i even switched USB cables to see if maybe something was wrong, but it still didn't work. so i dont think its a driver issue, if an identical hdd works on the computer?
Old 25-08-2009

I don't think its a driver issue, Go to device manager and see in the Hard Disk or Hard Disk controller section, if your new drive is not recognized there, it must be in the USB section. If the computer makes the noise that it is detecting a new hardware, then it has to be in the device manager, Try switching USB cables and power cables as well, if there is two USB for your drive then you should connect both the USB connectors to the computer as some heavy drives need more power so it has two connections on one side and one connection on one side which goes to the drive. Hope this works, do post back... All the best!
Old 02-11-2009

If it's an external drive it's probably the power supply. Even if the access light is burning I've had two power supplies fail. LaCie gave me a new one.
Old 02-11-2009

Sounds like that from a hard drive usually indicate that the hardware is bad. You will need to replace the drive that is inside the external case. Sometimes, the Lacie drive may be out of warranty, but the internal HDD it contains can still be covered by it's manufactures warranty. Check the drives serial no on the drives manufacturers website. If it is still under warranty, return it to the manufacturer. If it is not under warranty, replace the drive with a new one and restore from backup.
Old 02-11-2009

External Hard drives generally have a single USB cable that acts like a power supply and the data lines. But sometimes, these drivers need extra power, or the cable have two USB cable, you need to plug them both in a USB port so that it can get power from both the ports.
Old 02-11-2009

Which model LaCie external drive is it? The one I have (LaCie D2, Firewire 800/400/USB) houses a 3 1/2 HD and it has an EXTERNAL power supply. The power supply failed. Twice! The power supply brick has a little green light on it which stays on, as does the blue drive light on the D2 housing but the drive does not spin up sufficiently. Changed the power supply and problem solved.
Old 10-12-2009

The harddrive has an external power supply, i've used the adapter for another HDD and it works fine, so its not the external power supply, but do some of you mean there is an internal power supply that could be faulty too?

Because the light does light up, but it doesn't recognize in the computer.
Old 10-12-2009

I had such problem with my WD Passport i tried hard to get it work but nothing helps as the problem was due to internal storage at last i prefer to go for replacing hard drive to new on with warranty but that with cost of lost data

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , ,