Thread: dell 2400 will not boot, only gives beeps

dell 2400 will not boot, only gives beeps

I have installed Windows XP on my Dell 2400 which was working fine before but just 2 days ago it started booting to a black screen. But I was able to get to the Dell Sequence and selected the boot sequence menu and get to teh DOS Prompt and use the FDISK command on the drive and then use the Windows XP reinstall disk to freshly install a new OS. But since after doing all this my dell wont boot to the boot sequence nad it will just give me 2 short beeps and nothing happens? How can I solve this beep problem of my dell 2400? Can anybody help me? Thank you
    "The answer is out there, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."

Re: dell 2400 will not boot, only gives beeps

Two Short Beeps from your Dell 2400 indicates that it is a RAM problem, so do the following from below:

Adding Memory
    1. Shut down the computer.

2. Turn off any attached devices and disconnect them from their electrical outlets.

NOTICE: To disconnect a network cable, first unplug the cable from your computer and then unplug it from the network wall jack.

3. Disconnect the power cable from your computer, and then press the power button to ground the system board.
    4. Open the computer cover.

5. If necessary, remove a memory module:
    a) Press out the securing clip at each end of the memory module connector.
    b)Grasp the module and pull up.

If the module is difficult to remove, gently ease the module back and forth to remove it from the connector.

6. To insert a module, press out the securing clip at each end of the memory module connector.

7.Align the notches on the bottom of the module with the crossbars in the connector.

NOTICE: To avoid breaking the memory module, do not press near the middle of the module.

8. Insert the module straight down into the connector, ensuring that it fits into the vertical guides at each end of the connector. Press firmly on the ends of the module until it snaps into place.

If you insert the module correctly, the securing clips snap into the cutouts at each end of the module.

9.Close the computer cover.

10.Connect your computer and devices to their electrical outlets, and turn them on.

NOTICE: To connect a network cable, first plug the cable in to the network wall jack and then plug it in to the computer.

11.Right-click the My Computer icon and then click Properties.

12. Click the General tab.

13. To verify that the memory is installed correctly, check the amount of memory (RAM) listed.

More information here.

This is straight from the dell support, regarding the information about Beep Codes:
    Your computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if the monitor cannot display errors or problems. This series of beeps, called a beep code, identifies a problem. One possible beep code (code 1-3-1) consists of one beep, a burst of three beeps, and then one beep. This beep code tells you that the computer encountered a memory problem.

Reseating the memory modules may fix the beep code errors in the following table. If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Code - Cause
    1-3-1 through 2-4-4 - Memory not being properly identified or used

4-3-1 - Memory failure above address 0FFFFh
    If you hear one of the following beep codes, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

1-1-2 - Microprocessor register failure

1-1-3 - NVRAM

1-1-4 - ROM BIOS checksum failure

1-2-1 - Programmable interval timer

1-2-2 - DMA initialization failure

1-2-3 - DMA page register read/write failure

3-1-1 - Slave DMA register failure

3-1-2 - Master DMA register failure

3-1-3 - Master interrupt mask register failure

3-1-4 - Slave interrupt mask register failure

3-2-2 - Interrupt vector loading failure

3-2-4 - Keyboard Controller Test failure

3-3-1 - NVRAM power loss

3-3-2 - NVRAM configuration

3-3-4 - Video Memory Test failure

3-4-1 - Screen initialization failure

3-4-2 - Screen retrace failure

3-4-3 - Search for video ROM failure

4-2-1 - No time tick

4-2-2 - Shutdown failure

4-2-3 - Gate A20 failure

4-2-4 - Unexpected interrupt in protected mode

4-3-3 - Timer-chip counter 2 failure

4-3-4 - Time-of-day clock stopped

4-4-1 - Serial or parallel port test failure

4-4-4 - Cache test failure

First try to see that you have reseated some of the different cables for some times and then see to it that you have used the ram and ordination properly as well or not. In other words, recheck your work and inspect the innards, don't take anything for granted, check it. You can swap ram with the one you had and see if ram is an issue. If it still fails to boot, I can only suggest that it bit you and you need to disassemble to the most basic system and troubleshoot from that. Even though you took ESD care, you really didn't say how you did this. Sometimes ESD kit is the best protection, having a wrist strap for example. Last, if you have any USB devices attached, dismount them, except kybd. and mouse, but reseat those too. The beeps, record the beep sequence, its a clue to the error area. Find the bios beep code for that bios chip maker to help you narrow it down.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600