Thread: Vista won't recognize DVD-RW drive

Vista won't recognize DVD-RW drive

This is my first post looking for help, normally I can find any answers I need by googling, but this one has me stumped.

I recently decided to try and get my Sony DRU-820a DVD burner working with my new computer running Vista 32-bit. The drive is IDE, and my motherboard only has SATA, so I bought an IDE to SATA adapter. I have the drive hooked up, and eventually got the computer to recognize it, but it can't find drivers for it.

It's recognized as Sony DRU820a in the BIOS, and Vista recognizes it as that when it first starts, but it says "Installing Device Drivers" for about 15 minutes before it gives up and just labels it as "CD-ROM Drive" and no software will recognize it as a DVD burner. I contacted Sony, but the drive is supposed to be "plug and play" so they don't have any drivers for it.

I found a fix in the Windows knowledge base to delete a registry key (this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060#nextsteps), and that was how I got Windows to recognize the drive at all. I went back in and there is no entry anymore for Lowerfilters or Upperfilters, so that fix won't work.

Any ideas how to get Vista to recognize it as the right drive? Is it not working because of the IDE to SATA adapter?

Re: Vista won't recognize DVD-RW drive

Yes this device must be plug and play but since windows not recognizing rom Problem can be due IDE to SATA adapter i had such problem with my hard disk but as i made proper connection i am able to get connected.....

I think it could be a Drives fail, you could open up the desktop case (with power disconnected) and ensure cables are reseated

First determine that the DVD RW is properly detected in the BIOS. When you restart you windows press DEL or Tab by which your BIOS screen comes up. You can see the name of DVD RW in the first option. If not then it not connected properly or there is proper power supply to the DVD Rw. Change the power supply cable and press the CD out button on the DVD Rw. If the tray comes out then power is proper. Now comes the cable change the cable and check in BIOS back again.

• Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • Click System and Maintenance, click System, and then click Device Manager.
    • If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    • In Device Manager, expland DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.
    • When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.
    • Restart the computer.