Thread: USB Flash Drives: FAT, FAT32, NTFS

USB Flash Drives: FAT, FAT32, NTFS

Hello,

I have an ACP-EP 1GB Privacy Drive.I would like to discuss regarding USB Flash Drives: FAT, FAT32, NTFS.what you think Which of the three FAT, FAT32, and NTFS is the best Windows file system for a USB Flash Drive?

Re: USB Flash Drives: FAT, FAT32, NTFS

While you reading/writing a single file, NTFS is superb. But in fact where multiple files being read and write, , NTFS was more than half a minute slower when copying just 50 MB of multiple files and directories.For some reason, the reading times from Disk Bench seem to be pretty much the same between the file systems, I'm not confident if they're precise.But FAT16 to be the quickest as well, although the peculiarity becomes less significant for bigger files. If you have done some tests with your UFD, please feel free to post them.

As far as my concerned FAT32 is the best to promise the greatest compatibility, which is vital for a flash drive you can and will be plugging into a number of different systems. While you can format NTFS on flash drives, it's not a suggested option most of the time.

NTFS is more secure than FAT32 and if you have the situation to use NTFS, its good idea to use it.As for speed, if there is a difference,not a big difference.the only real time you may want to use fat32 is on smaller drivesand you would like a more redundant file system for file recovery. as FAT tables are in inherently easier to see and recover. though if there was something that you didn't want to lose forever it should be backed up on dvd/cd anyway.