Thread: External HDD seagate st300003u2 issues

External HDD seagate st300003u2 issues

Hello ffriends,

I am running XP SP2 on my computer.I have recently bought a Seagate 160GB external Harddrive. It is means to be 'plug and play'When plugged in and powered up, windows recognizes it as "seagate external harddrive" then runs the 'add new hardware wizard' but eventualy can't find any drivers.I done everything i know but to no avail.So any one here can provide me some kind of offer to make the things perfect I have tried manually adding it but it wont accept any default drivers.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: External HDD seagate st300003u2 issues

Are you using the service pack?my guess Service Packs could be the cause. SP1 included an update to the USB support in XP. The latest service pack (SP2) includes all of SP1 plus even more updates to security, so you don't need to install both service packs. If you can't get hold of SP1 , simply install SP2 instead to bring you up to date.I'm running XP with SP2 and my external USB hard drive is working perfectly.SP2 is a big download so ask around for a CD if you can. It was released as a free CD by MS and also supplied free with many PC mags. I think you can stll apply for it as free mailer from the MS website. I'd be very surprised if that doesn't cure the issue.

My advise is that you may possibly visit the hp site and go through the hoops on Seagate's site If the problem still exist, try it on another computer. If that fails you have a faulty drive and return it and better go for a replacement.

Me got several USB external drives that I use between multiple computers. The sequence of events I use is boot up the computer first, then hook the external drive, then power up the external drive. Windows XP should detect the device shortly after you power it on. WXP has all of the drivers it needs for the external drive to work.