Thread: BIOS update flash type unknown

BIOS update flash type unknown

I had installed Windows Xp as my operating system. However when I tried to update the bios to the latest version is gives out an error message stating that "bios update flash type unknown" on my desktop screen. Can any body tell me that what does the above error message means? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: BIOS update flash type unknown

Did you use a usb thump drive? If not then try to use one on your pc? Also check out if there's flash write protect jumper and also check what's printed on the BIOS chip. Maybe someone replaced the Flash ROM with EPROM (27Cxxx).

Try removing the battery and leave it out for an hour or two so the CMOS is cleared. Reset the battery and see if this clears the problem. Make sure you don't have malware trying to alter the CMOS (BIOS). Such malware is rare, but do exist.

If your computer works fine, and you get this message while you are booting, don't worry about it. If you get the warning "Unknown Flash Type" please check your manual concerning the BIOS protection Jumper and/or "Flash write Protect" BIOS option to make sure the protection is disabled." Someone has flashed your computer with a utility that did not find a code for the exact type of flash chip it has, but it worked anyway because the chip on the board was a clone of the one specified for the board. Make sure never to turn off or reset your computer during the flash process. This will corrupt the BIOS data.