Thread: NEC DVD RW ND1100A not working

NEC DVD RW ND1100A not working

My DVD writer is not working. It has failed many times. My system specification is Windows XP Pro, 2 GB RAM, Intel Pentium 4 Processor, NEC DVD RW and Gigabyte motherboard. Always when I try to burn a disc a error comes up saying burning process failed. Then the tray does not comes out. I have to put a small pin to remove the tray. I the DVD reading is extremely slow. Many a times my system hangs when I put a DVD. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: NEC DVD RW ND1100A not working

The tray issue definitely lies with the power connector. If the DVD is not getting a proper power supply it will not eject the tray out. Open your tower and remove the cables from the back side. Place them again. Now press the button for opening and closing the tray. Do not forcibly open it again and again by the pin. Otherwise it can damage your tray hardware.

Disassemble the DVD Drive from the computer. Remove it and then you can see screws at the corner. The DVD drive has one upper panel. When you remove all the mechanism is visible. Just open it and clear all the dust from inside. See that the tray is properly connected to spindle. You can switch it on by that way and check by pressing the DVD button. When you press it a small motor rotates and the tray is pushed out. In the same way take a smooth cotton cloth and clear the upper layer of laser light. The slow reading of disc can be due to dust or the laser is gone bad. If still the problem occurs then you need a replacement.

The best option to download the drivers is to visit NEC Website. Click on the below link. It opens up a driver page. At the first page you can see a list of DVD drives with Model number. Click on anyone and accept a small agreement. Then the download windows will come up. Save that to your Desktop and run it. The firmware will be upgraded and this can improve your DVD performance. Also now try a different software for burning a disc instead of Nero.