Thread: Heatsink/Fan advice for Gateway

Heatsink/Fan advice for Gateway

Hello friends,

Before 1 month i bought a Gateway GM5424 desktop.After one week I updated the video card, memory and PSU. Now planing to update the CPU soon with an Intel E6700. I heard that the Intel stock cooler is not that great. I want to go with an aftermarket heat sink like a Zalman. My idea is that so many of the available coolers seem pretty large, particularly the fans. Can anybody provide some offer for me to get a good cooler same time for a Socket 775 CPU that will suit fine in my Gateway motherboard and case?

thanks in advance..!!

Re: Heatsink/Fan advice for Gateway

You can discover appropriate fans fromanywhere. For regular fans ebay, newegg, pricegrabber, whatever will work. Aerocool and Thermal take have some better quality and/or quieter versions but they cost more (but look cooler). All you really have to look for is your cpu clock speed and socket type to find a compatible fan.

I created a custom system with Intel quad core CPU and stock Intel heat sink/cooling fan for a client a few days ago, and I have not heard any bad reports about it.If you are going to use another brand, you will need to measure the exact dimensions available inside the Gateway chassis and match them with the specs of various aftermarket fans...

The GM5424 uses a standard Intel 965-chipset mobo with little bit altered Gateway BIOS. Since different versions of BIOS detect different CPU's, it would be better to update the BIOS to the latest prior to installing a newer CPU.Intel's heat sink/cooling fans for the LGA775 CPUs all look very much alike, but the rated amperage differs among fans for Celerons, P4 HT, Core-2 Duo and Quad Core. With the higher amperage comes faster RPMs and sometimes slightly peculiar design to push more air and cool the hotter CPUs. Intel has made a serious effort to reduce power consumption and heat with its newer mult-core CPUs, consistently reducing the voltage needed by a CPU to function