Thread: Control the fan speed on a Dell Inspiron 1300

SADIQ Guest

Control the fan speed on a Dell Inspiron 1300

Hello Good morning everyone,

I'm with a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop with a Celeron M 1.4 Ghz CPU.My issue is that the fan on the laptop automatically turns on and off. first there will be silence and then a quiet buzz for a couple of seconds as the fan kicks in and then back to silence and this repeats.Now i'm thinking about a way to control the fan in order to work it quietly all the time, rather than turning it off completely.Does any one got idea how to do that??

It would be very helpful for me
    advance thanks,,,,!!!

Re: Control the fan speed on a Dell Inspiron 1300

While the Celeron might be inexpensive. There has never been a P4 or P4M laptop that does not have fan running constantly and the Celeron will be expected to do the same,especially since it does not have Enhanced Speedstep.Only a small amount of notebooks are able to tweak the fan settings. All other notebooks fan algorithm is coded into the BIOS.You have a overheating problem, not a fan problem. Doesnt your fans run of full blast when playing games?

Take your pc apart, and blow compressed air through the heatsink.Use a 3rd party program for Dell pc's, [I8Kfan], to run the fans a little more often, on a regular, automated basis.If it is not going to resolve your issue I'd strongly suggest getting a cooling pad for that computer, 80 - 90*C is very hot compared to any laptops I've seen.you can try the undervolting section of the cooling guide.

Basically a fan has three levels, off, 1, and 2 (2 being the highest speed). So this is saying turn on left and right fans to high. The and just places this process in the background. The included file i8kmon.1 includes some clues as to syntax and options for this utility. As for myself, I just placed the above command in a bash script, which I made executable, and put it in ~/.kde4/Autostart so that fans would come on automatically when I log in with my main user account.There may be better ways to get this to work, or better ways of invoking i8kutils.