Thread: DVD RAM showing write protected error

DVD RAM showing write protected error

I have some DVD RAM which has a collection of my family home videos. The problem here is I am trying to reuse them. So it is giving write protection error when I tried to erase them. It is a rewritable disc so it does no shows up a write protection error. Why this happens. Is this related to the software or hardware. Second thing what is the difference between a DVD ROM, DVD RW and DVD RAM. Thanks.

Re: DVD RAM showing write protected error

When I had faced the same issue I had tried two things here. This solved up my issue. First on is a firmware upgrade for my DVD burner. Because I was using a standard DVD recorder not a RAM specific hardware. Then second solution is that try changing the letter of the drive by using Computer Management. You will found that in Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. Try to give the E. Then reboot your system and try back again.

I am giving an answer for a difference between DVD RAM and DVD ROM. DVD RAM stands for Disc Random Access Memory and DVD ROM stands for Disc Read Only Memory. This are the two types of a data storing technology in a disc which is encode and pasted to disc via laser. The main difference is that DVD ROM is used for day to day use or mainly for multimedia usage. Like songs, movies ,games, etc. And DVD RAM us used especially for storing data. DVD RAM are costlier than DVD ROM. DVD RAM has more durability than DVD ROM. You can not only use it multiple time but also continuously for thousand of times. The DVD RAM has a special layer which is made of metals and they are highly responsive to heat. According to test a DVD RAM can stores a data upto 30 years.

DVD RAM is not in very immediate use. That means people prefer DVD RW more than DVD RAM. That is due to the difference between the price. The main difference between DVD RAM and other DVD disc is that it more durable, highly reliable and stable. It has greater error correction ability as compare to others. It has 100,000 rewritable layer. It act like a hard disk. In which you can directly delete data and add data. This thing is expensive and not widely used.