Thread: Volume write back cache raid 5

Volume write back cache raid 5

I had installed Windows Xp as my operating system. I would like to know that how can i enable Volume Write back Cache raid 5 in the Intel Matrix Storage Controller? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue. Would be grateful to you if any body provides me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: Volume write back cache raid 5

A RAID 5 array contains three or more hard drives where the data is divided into manageable blocks called strips. It's one of the most popular RAID levels. Minimum of three hard drives are required to set up RAID 5 array.

Just make sure you back up your important information because enabling write back cache will allow your drives to cheat by writing data without it getting backed up or verified. The capacity of a RAID 5 array is the size of the smallest drive multiplied by one less than the number of drives in the array. However, RAID5 is much slower at writes that a single disk. The highest performance and most secure setup is by far the RAID 0+1 style.

It sounds like having a battery-backed writeback cache will offset some of the performance penalty of parity calculation on the writes. The primary benefits of RAID 5 include capacity and data protection. Because parity is used for data protection, up to 75% of the total drive capacity is usable. When a power loss or system crash occurs, there may not be enough time for all parity operations to be completed.