Thread: Need to build a media center pc

Need to build a media center pc

Hello

I am tinkering with the idea of making a media center PC.However, I don't know where to begin with or what I should do? Suggestions or a good link that explains building one.Nice suggestions expected

thanks for any suggestions..!!

Re: Need to build a media center pc

Guess you are going to build one and there are too many factors to put one together for you (ie. price ranges, looks, brand preference). You can purchase pre-built HTPC's (home theatre pc's) from places like Best Buy. They will cost you $1,500+.If you want you can do much better building one yourself, but you will have to be the one to pick out the components and assemble the pile of parts. I guess you would have much better luck with recommendations in a PC builders forum.

The installation of XP MCE is simple, it's the setting of all the multi-media stuff that is much hard.MCE only supports a small list of TV tuner cards.
    It will support only HDTV part of the ATI HDTV wonder card. If you want analog TV you have to get an analog tuner card also.I'm not scaring you, but if you are newbie you just keep in mind this things build for the first try. If you want to attempt,figure out the forms and find out what is working.

I have just put an el'cheapo with using old bits with a new graphics card
    asus a8n-sli premium
    4200 x2
    2gig pc3200
    ati 4670
    completed building. Now am thinking about addition of a dual dvb-s card so then i can bin Sky+.Keep in mind to get a wireless keyboard and remote
    also software this can be pricey too.I will tell you can also go for a MoBo with an Intel chip set. I don't know the reason, but ATI/EasyLook stuff is easier to get working when using an intel chipset. I have several P4 MoBos that aren't, and it's been more complicated to make things work