Thread: Hard Drive Migration problem

Hard Drive Migration problem

Hello friends,

My computer running windows vista ultimate 64 with Ide Maxtor 200GB.. I got a Sata Seagate.. and downloaded the Disk Wizard software from Seagate to migrate drives...Rather than having to lose all my data and operating system etc.... you simply swap drives over once Disk wizard finishes..But,unfortunately when it finished and advised me to swap drives over... disconnecting IDE drive meant when I powered up PC, it would not boot, and gave me error message... NO IDE HDD Found!!.The boot manager is still looking for IDE drive....I disconnected Ide drive... left Sata connected... powered up, disc started, got to Repair window... and it showed a window for drives which was empty... but had two tabs... install drivers and cancel... I chose to install drivers... from my motherboard disc as this contains the Raid drivers.. I assume thats what I need to install....Anyways... was a waste of time, error message stating they failed... Chose the right ones...Via x64 etc...If I leave the old Ide hdd in, I can boot to my Sata which now has Vista Ultimate 64...SO my question is how do I boot to Vista Ultimate on the sata drive.... but without having to have old Ide hdd in at the sametime?.....

Any help appreciated...
    Thank-you in advance

Re: Hard Drive Migration problem

You better Repair your computer.On the Install Windows now page, in the lower left you may be able to see a 'repair your computer' on the next page you can view a start-up repair along with command prompt etc.Do the start-up repair NOT a repair install

You'll probably required to do the restore and confirm the drive is disconnected when you boot the first time from the drive or use the Vista DVD's Command Prompt, begin the Registry Editor ("regedit") and clear the MountedDevices entry on the new hard drive.When you did the Vista Boot Repair, did you make sure the Vista partition on the hard drive was Active and that the drive was the booting drive in the BIOS.Was the original Vista partition assigned the C: drive letter when you were booted into it? Hopefully, it was. If it wasn't the repair will be different?

While doing the repair choose to load drivers for your Hard drives,If you cannot see your operating system. browsed the Motherboard CD... but no matter what drivers I choose it fails....If the computer doesn't have the older Parallel ATA(IDE) connector then you can use a USB to IDE cable like this to attach the drive