Thread: Jumper Settings of Samsung DVD RW

Jumper Settings of Samsung DVD RW

I had got a Samsung DVD RW for my computer which running on Windows XP. When I connected the DVD RW it does not comes in My Computer. The drive is not reflecting in My Computer. But when I press the button on the device the tray comes out. The light is blinking on the device. Does it is not detected by Windows or it is the issue with the firmware. Also how set up a jumper settings by which I can set up it as a Primary Master. Thanks in advance.

Re: Jumper Settings of Samsung DVD RW

Yes this can be the issue with Firmware. By updating the firmware of the drive I think the problem can be solve. Just download the below utility. The software will scan you system and located the disc drive. Then it will update the firmware of the DVD Rw. Second thing check out the cabling of the device. The power cable is fine but the board cable which connects the drive to the motherboard see that it is fine or not. Try to change it if problem continues.
    Firmware Update

The jumper setting can be adjusted at the backside of the device. You can see a nine pin separate compartment which is different from power and motherboard cable. In the nine pine the first two pins assigned the device as primary and the second row as a secondary master. Put the jumper to the first row. Then get in the bios of your system and on the first page see weather you drive is detected or not. It must be at the top of hard disk.

If you observe at the back side of the drive you can see three parts. The first on is the biggest one which is a IDE connected then the second one with six pins and the last one for power cable. If the jumper is set near to the IDE connector then it set on master. The middle one is slave and the last one is cable select. Some pins have name on in. SL-Slave, MA-Master, CS-Cable Select. As you windows boot up then right click on My Computer and select properties. Go to hardware tab and select device manager. Locate you DVD drive and check the status by right clicking on it.