Thread: Dell Inspiron 1525 re-attach key on keyboard

Dell Inspiron 1525 re-attach key on keyboard

I'm having a Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook on which i had install Windows Xp as my operating system. Recently i had took out my spacebar key off my Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook to clean under it. Then when I tried to put it back on, I broke one of the tiny plastic pieces on the underside of the key and it will not re-attach to the keyboard. Now, can any body tell me that what i need to do in order to re-attach key on keyboard on my Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: Dell Inspiron 1525 re-attach key on keyboard

It looks like the clip broke. Check the bottom of the key and see if the plastic did break or if it just unattached itself. Take of the little metal clip that attached to the key, place it in the little slot that are next to the retainer , then place the top part under the retainer.

It can be difficult to replace keys, especially on laptops. The retention holders at the top are essentially a closed "U" shape. However it can depend on the keyboard design.

Try to contact your dealer for the above issue. You can also visit the Dell service center for the above issue. Some keyboards are easy to pull off keys for cleaning, some are not. You may just end up wanting to pickup a cheap replacement keyboard.

I had that exact same problem!! 100% exactly the same as you on the same computer. Most keys are easy to replace, except spacebar is probably the hardest…I don't get the point of the long metal bar…
    You can buy the key on eBay for like $3, that's what I did.
    But can anyone post a video of installing the spacebar? There are videos of installing regular keys but none of installing spacebar...

Hi ferrari,

Now a days, we can get the keyboards at cheap rates, so why should we waste time on replacing keys from the keyboards rather than buying a new one. In any case I found a video on fixing the space bar keys for laptops such as the HP, DELL, TOSHIBA, LENOVO and ACER, watch it from here.

I didn't want to buy a whole new keyboard for 7x more than just a key…I probably should have though…:\
    Anyway, that video was highly unprofessional and would never make me want to buy from them but it looks promising and it was informative, so I'll try it and we'll see how it works

Yeah!! YEAH!!! It worked!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!