Thread: How to get computer to recognize new hard drive

How to get computer to recognize new hard drive

I had installed Windows Xp on my system. Recently i had bought a new got a Maxtor 200GB, which i had added as a second hard drive on my system. Now the problem is that i can see it in device manager but it just doesn't show up in "my computer." Can any body tell me that how to get computer to recognize new hard drive? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: How to get computer to recognize new hard drive

You need to browse to Computer Management by right-clicking "My Computer" on your desktop, then clicking "Manage." Try just booting like normal (remove new drive) now if that works make sure this older drive jumpers are set to master on first ide cable make second drive slave on 2nd ide cable if you have a cdrom make that master on 2nd ide cable.

For that you need to go into your BIOS and check out whether your BIOS hard drive is set on auto and if still your computer does not recognize the new hard drive, then you need to changed your connection from a IDE to a SATA port. Then you need to Right click on My Computer and select Manage. Then go to Disk Management under the Storage heading on the left, selecting a disk will show you the current partitions and right clicking will give you options to format and assign drive letters.

Make sure the jumpers are set correctly. The Disk Management snap-in is an administrative tool for managing hard disks and the volumes or partitions that they contain. This opens the System Properties dialog box. You can also check your CMOS settings on which mode your using. LBA mode is recommended for drives larger than 504 MB and is the only way of dealing with drives larger than 8.4 GB. For more information, you can check out the following link. Hope it may resolve your issue.